Responsible Travel Week, Day #1: Monday, February 11
2013 is the fifth year for Responsible Travel Week (February 11-17) and Planeta.com’s 13th year of innovative conferencing. We expect our global conversation to take a great leap forward thanks to inspired participation. This event is free, though financial donations are appreciated!
The motto of the 2013 RT Week is Redo, Re-Imagine and Remix. Participants are asked to consider ways in which tourism benefits locals and visitors alike and most importantly in an era of the social web, to build on one another’s efforts, to remix media in ways that enlighten us all.
Some background. Responsible Travel Week allows us to reflect on some of the reasons we believe in online conferences and promote hybrid events that connect gatherings in the natural world and online. Why do we host this?
- It creates a platform, aka venue, for colleagues and old friends.
- It creates a platform, aka venue, to meet new people.
- It allows us to test out the social web.
- It encourages us to create local, lo-fi events.
- It helps us prepare for the year ahead.
- It helps us reflect on the past year.
- It helps us tell and share stories.
- It cultivates partnerships.
- It promotes my paid workshops.
- It models the behaviors we wish to see in others — openness, inclusion, collaboration.
- It permits us to discuss some provocative ideas.
And you might ask … what provocative ideas?
- Conservation and tourism should adopt the principles of Open Education Resources
- Conferences and trade shows should have free wi-fi and livestreaming
- Awareness of the big ideas inherent in responsible travel works best if we encourage people to create and register local events.
Day #1. Today’s challenge: Be attentive.
According to the 90-9-1 principle, most people are browsers, aka lurkers and we say a big ‘thank you’ to everyone paying attention to responsible travel. For those budgeting time, many thanks! If you’re not paying attention, you’re probably missing out on something. Hopefully, we’ll get you to engage more deeply, but first your conscious attention is where it all begins.
Advanced: Announce your plans for 2013. Travel pros, let us know what programs you’re launching, what events you’re attending, what sustainability goals you have for the coming year.
Advanced: Remind us what you did in 2012. Recaps are helpful as we move forward. Bring us up-to-speed on responsible travel actions you made in the past 12 months.
If you want to be an engaged participant, post your news on the Facebook event page, Google+ event page or tweet using the hashtag #rtweek2013. If you want to be a little less engaged, then please ‘like’ or share this blog. Heck, if you have an account on WordPress, you can even reblog this blog.
If you’d like to join us, confirm your interest via the Google+ Event page. Recordings will be uploaded to YouTube.
Elsewhere on the Web
Participants have been uploading some amazing resources, essays and presentations that help us hit the ground running. Here’s what has caught our attention the past few days:
- Can food make Responsible Travel irresponsible?
- Authentic Accommodation as Art
- Responsible Travel in France
Looking ahead, here is how the City of Cape Town celebrates Responsible Tourism Week. There will also be photo safaris in Las Vegas and Mossel Bay.
If you cannot join us on the ground, join us online. Comments are welcome below. Also, keep an eye on the conference hub.