Announcement: Planeta.com, Nutti Sámi Siida and friends are hosting Indigenous Peoples Week August 8-12, 2011. This is an online unconference focusing on Indigenous Peoples and tourism. Themes include biodiversity conservation, crafts, cultural heritage, food and literacy(traditional reading and writing and digital literacy — the emerging read write culture).
How to Participate
- Seek out and patronize indigenous businesses where you live.
- Make a poster or foamboard.
- Learn new words in an indigenous language.
- Organize a local walk focusing on indigenous culture
- Use Web 2.0 – Facebook, Flickr, Linkedin, Slideshare, Twitter, YouTube, Wikipedia – to learn and share info about indigenous culture.
- Blog: Blog about indigenous culture
- Facebook: Introduce yourself on the event page
- Flickr: Add photos of indigenous crafts with the name of the indigenous artisan to the World Crafts Group ; create your own photo album about indigenous culture
- Linkedin: Introduce yourself and your interest in indigenous culture on the event page
- Slideshare: Favorite the overview presentation; create a new presentation/slideshow about indigenous culture
- Twitter: Tweet about indigenous culture and please tweet about this page!
- YouTube: Videos please! Why not make a short video or playlist to document indigenous culture and traditional knowledge?
- 15 minutes – Consult the #ipw hashtag, facebook event page, planeta wiki
- 1 hour – Read and view more online resources; Comment, Favorite, Like, Star the resources that inspire you
- 2-3 hours – Visit a local indigenous business; learn about indigenous culture in another part of the world
Planeta.com is offering a bonus month to businesses in our World Travel Directory <http://planeta.com/worldtravel.html> which feature indigenous culture. Tour guides and companies not in the directory but which would like to apply for a new listing are eligible for a discount. Apply before August 31 and receive the $100/year listing for $75 or the $250/year premium listing for $200.